Thursday, April 19, 2007

Her: A Novel

After reading the post on Her: A Novel, I figured I'd start a new section for us to discuss it.
I found the book mildly difficult to read, but I went with the flow of it and in the end, I did end up enjoying the read. Some thoughts:
1) It wasn't until about halfway through that I saw the book's relevence to the class; in other words, it was unclear to me up until then if there were any Queer characters. And it is subtly revealed at that. Charlotte relives the affair she had with Ricky in her mind...and it is only addressed a few more times by the end (the reconciliation between the two, in my understanding, is the central part of the book with them being the main actors in the story, whereas Sunshine/Kali serves as the catalyst). In one sense, this reminds me of the subtlty in My Beautiful Laundrette, where sexuality is not emphasised to the point where it overrides the storyline. And regards to Kali's makeover to "boy", I am not so sure she self-identified as a "boy" and therefore, I am not so sure she should be considered to be Queer (as suggested in the afterword).
2) Just to address the Sunshine/Kali confusion, Kali, in my mind, is an alter-ego or sub personality of the person known to us in the beginning as Sunshine. It is simply a mechanism for self-identification, away from the labels of "wife" or "girl" or "daughter-in-law", etc. Reclaimation of identity.

2 comments:

littlestevie said...

I agree!!! This book effectively shows a lot about the interactions of race and sexuality within the context of a society that devalues those people. Though sexuality is in the background of the story it is a binding and motivating force for all the characters, and the racial structure that defines the way they interacted was amazing. I still don't understand the hierarchy and wonder if 'hi-yellah' is seen as something not white enough to be white but not dark enough to be black, and so is bad; or is it an enviable condition that can allow for passing? Chapter 15, which tells the of the loss of female sexuality and also the intergenerational relations, is my favorite in the book. That chapter alone should be included in the reader if the entire book is not in the curriculum!

dragonfly151 said...

I would agree with Stardust, when feeling confused about its relation to this class. But as Stardust mentioned half way through the novel the light went off! I also enjoyed the fact that sexuality was subtle and did not override the main plot of Sunshine and her struggle to find a sense of belonging within the Black community in Detroit. The book also includes the relationships between black women-mothers and daughters, friends and lovers during the 1950s. After some research I discovered that many AA women at this time worked in car factories as featured in "Her". The book was great and Im glad I had the chance to read it, although I obtained it really late. I'm sure the class discussion was great.