Saturday, April 21, 2007

Reza Abdoh's The Law of Remains

Although our discussion on Friday helped me understand the play a tiny fraction, I am still somewhat lost. I do, however, appreciate Abdoh's endeavor to create a constructive, meaningful and expressive piece of work - regardless if I fully understand it or not. One aspect that intrigues me is his several references to popular culture at the time...giving those who are tuned in to the times a sort of "shorthand" or "secret insight" to what Abdoh is expressing, without actual explanations. Unfortunatly, those who might have been tuned out during this period or those whom are reading it now, those references might be lost (as it was with me), leading to a breakdown of that understanding. Yes, there are people out there disconnected with popular culture.

2 comments:

Ktrion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Esquibel said...

In some ways, I think that Abdoh's work was really written for the "now" of the 1990s, and doesn't always translate to our current now.

Or rather, theatre of this kind--when it's performed over a period of time--will often have an improvisation element, where there there will be references that are updated.

I forgot to mention, that at end of the play, there was this scene where all the actors are shoving plates of chewed-down rib bones in the audience's face.